What we do
We have a clear purpose - helping the community and the government make the best use of our renewable and non-renewable land, mineral and energy resources.
Partnerships with our customers and stakeholders are important to us, as we work to deliver policies, programs and services that support industry while reflecting the needs of the broader community.
Our strategic objectives are:
- Optimised use of land resources of the state
- Increased and diversified private sector investment in georesources
- Innovation driven to unlock our data’s potential
- Great careers: a contemporary workforce set apart by its expertise, innovation, collaboration and leadership
- Positive stakeholder and public sentiment on all of our policies, programs and people
- Our obligations are met.
Read our strategic plan (PDF, 372.6KB) for further details.
Land and property
- Statutory land valuations and property data
- State land management (including stock routes and fire management)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander land use (including leasing, transfers, freehold title and land trusts)
- Vegetation management (including clearing exemptions, codes and vegetation maps)
Mining and exploration
- Permit applications and compliance (including fossicking permits and information)
- Investment attraction (including land releases and tenders)
- CSG and LNG compliance and engagement
- Land access
- Native title
- Abandoned mines
Mapping and data
- Geoscience information
- Maps, imagery and geospatial data
- Surveying (including standards, baselines and permanent survey marks)
- Place names
- Flood mapping and simulations
- Queensland Globe
With over 1500 staff (full-time equivalent), we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace where individual differences are respected; diverse skills and knowledge are valued and utilised; and opportunities are available for all. It is our goal to ensure our workforce represents the community we serve.
How we work is just as important to us as what we do, and therefore we operate under the following guiding principles:
Our organisational chart (PDF, 42.3KB) shows our senior management and structure.
We have offices in the Brisbane CBD and throughout regional Queensland. See our contact section for details.
- Find out more about what we do from our strategic plan and annual report.
- Find a list of legislation administered by the department and information on our current governance management structure in our annual report.
- Read about our Minister.
- Read about our Director-General.
Last reviewed: 03 June 2023