Queensland’s world-class mineral and energy resources - such as coal, minerals and petroleum and gas - are owned and managed by the state for the benefit of all Queenslanders.
In managing compliance with resource laws, we aim to be consistent, transparent and defendable. This gives both industry and the community confidence in our resources laws and trust in our enforcement actions.
- Regulate fossicking, ensuring recreational fossickers follow the rules and observe the basic principles of safe fossicking
- Administer the tenure framework that facilitates exploration for and development of mineral, coal, petroleum and gas, geothermal energy and greenhouse gas resources in Queensland
- Undertake monitoring and evaluation to ensure that industry’s on-ground performance complies with the current regulatory framework
- Provide the resources sector with the support, guidance and information necessary to meet their statutory commitments
- Deliver proactive engagement with industry and landowners to provide information and educational resources for land access
- Provide consistent and transparent decision making in compliance decisions so that industry and the community have confidence in the department to enforce the regulation
Read about results and outcomes of our compliance activities for 2019-20 in our Report on the Georesources Regulatory Compliance Plan 2019-20 (PDF, 280.2KB).
Find out more about our planned compliance activities and targets for 2020-21 in our Georesources compliance plan 2020-21 (PDF, 118.0KB).
The department administers a number of Acts and regulations for our georesources, including:
- Fossicking Act 1994
- Geothermal Energy Act 2010
- Greenhouse Gas Storage Act 2009
- Mineral and Energy Resources (Common Provisions) Act 2014
- Mineral Resources Act 1989
- Petroleum Act 1923
- Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004
- Authorities and permits for mineral and coal
- Authorities and permits for petroleum and energy resources
- Complying with your resource authority
- Fossicking rules and responsibilities
- Information for landholder and the community
Last reviewed 30 June 2020