Renewable energy powerhouse
Queensland is committed to becoming a renewable hydrogen and clean energy manufacturing superpower. Queensland has the sunshine and wind resources above the ground, the critical minerals below the ground, a highly skilled workforce and infrastructure to support a renewable energy industry, and established trade partners.
The Queensland Government released its Energy and Jobs Plan in 2022. The $62-billion plan will ensure that Queensland:
- meets a target of 70% renewable energy by 2032 and 80% by 2035
- develops a connection to Mount Isa to support a clean energy industrial ecosystem from the North West Minerals Province to Townsville, supporting industries in the region
- implements renewable energy zones
- builds Australia’s largest energy SuperGrid to deliver clean, reliable and affordable energy to power Queensland homes and industry.
The plan sets out to build a clean and competitive energy system for the Queensland economy and industries as a platform for accelerating growth.
- The SuperGrid is all of the elements in the electricity system, including the poles, wires, solar, wind turbines and storage, brought together with 1,500km of transmission lines.
- It will bring all elements of the electricity system together to deliver 50% renewable energy by 2030, 70% by 2032, and 80% by 2035.
Last reviewed: 21 February 2023